RE: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] comb material

Sorry for my part in keeping this thread alive...(I realize we're already two days behind schedule for the next scheduled recurring topic which is...dangit, I've misplaced my harp-l schedule.)  Anyhow, threads seem to die shortly after I post on them, so maybe I'm ultimately doing my part to bring this one to a screeching halt.

The logicians of the group have clearly, rationally, and logically shown me the errors of my ways...but, as I said before, I personally *think*, based on all of the evidence to date, that the comb material does not matter...not that it has been proven to not matter, but that no one has proven that it does.  As was pointed out several times, it is "impossible" to prove a negative...so while there is no proof that the material does not matter, there is also no proof that it does either...so the logical conclusion is that it does not matter.  I am intellectually fine with that.

You know what bugs me though?  It's that I *want* it to matter.  I *want* the comb material to make a difference.  It's not that I'm emotionally invested in the outcome here, but it just *feels* like the type of material used in the comb *should* have some effect on the sound.  If some later tests demonstrate that there is a difference, would that really be that surprising to those currently in the "doesn't matter" crowd?  I mean, beyond the initial "surprised

Then Vern said:
> Is this another way of saying that you are swayed more by emotion than by > logic?I do not know if it is an advantage or disadvantage that 99% of the people in this group do not know me personally.  I do know that those who do know me will appreciate the humorous absurdity of me being asked this question.  To answer your question, Vern, no, that is not another way of saying I am swayed more by emotion than by logic.  It is, however, an example that I will occasionally (but only very occasionally) join with my *feeling* brothers and sisters in their fight even when their position is contrary to the intellectual evidence, perhaps because I want them to be right.  (I still *think* they are wrong though.)

Jonathan "I think, therefore, I am confused" Compton