Re: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] comb material

Zombor Kovacs <zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A main difference between the music box reeds and the
> harp reeds is that one is plucked the otherone is
> vibrated by an airstream. The harmonica reed vibration
> is a much much more complex phenomenon whith a lot of
> aerodynamics. So I also think, that although the
> strings on a guitar vibrate in a similar manner as
> reeds do in a harmonica, the scales are different.

is this so?  it was my understanding, probably from something i read
here, that harps make sound not by vibrating reeds, but by chopping
up the airstream in similar fashion to a siren.  this is why the music
box analogy has problems, since the sound generation mechanism
is so different.

am i misunderstanding?  can someone clarify?

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.
do something.