[Harp-L] re: Paddy Richters out of the box

Simon asks:

"Seydel seems to be the obvious choice as they do both the Session and Favorite harps in Paddy Richter, does anyone have any comments on how they compare? (Especially how they would compare with a Power tweaked Suzuki)."

I have only played the Seydel Session models not the Favorite, but have been quite favorably impressed with them. The design is solid (very similar to the Suzuki Bluesmaster, a basic variant on the tried and true Lee Oskar design) and feels good to me (solid covers, smooth plating, nice plastic). The ones I've bought (a handful) have been well tuned and set-up as well as most any standard harp. I would think this would carry over to their alternate tunings, indeed the low-tunings were quite nice.

As for comparing to Brendan's instruments, I doubt that they are in the same league. A custom instrument is just that, and will always be better than a stock model. However, by learning to gap to your own desires and even a bit of fine-tuning if needed you can greatly improve any harmonica.

Another option is to create your own Paddy Richter by swapping reed- plates between two Lee Oskar models. This is easy and takes very little time. As I can't recall the details of which models, and don't want to get it wrong and have to correct myself, I'll point you in the direction of the archives, which has this basic mod mentioned several times (try a search for Paddy Richter and Lee Oskar). Unless other companies offer a Paddy Richter tuned harp (and I'm not aware that any do, but I'm probably wrong) these are probably your best options.

Hope this helps.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'