Re: [Harp-L] covers (was comb material)

I have always been impressed by Vern's objectivity...
I guess that a lot of the "material" thing, whether combs cover plates  or
reeds, is a question of the player's personal prejudice rather  than of
scientific fact.
I believe that the important thing is that the instrument is well set up  and
responsive... THAT's why custom harps are so much better than those from the
factory "out of the box"..
Not because the comb is titanium, brass or strawberry jam.... But a
strawbery jam (US talk "jelly") comb would dissolve and thus would not be at all
practical...
As for cover plates, I like thin cover plates... I've changed ALL my Hohner
MS Harps to "Blues Harp" cover plates... Some specially silver plated, because
 my friend the late great Douglas Tate suggested it, AND HE WAS RIGHT.
I find the Blues Harp cover plates seem "alive" in my hands as I play them.
I personally don't like the "thick" Meisterclasse or Danneker Blues style
cover  plates...But I guess that is just what I feel comfortable with.
As far as chromatics are concerned, I have settled on Hohner Super
Chromonica "270"s... Some with custom Plexiglass combs, some with Tony Danneker
"metalised" combs. Some nickel plated some silver plated mouthpieces...I  honestly
can't tell the difference when I play them... But I do also have an  ILUS
"Renaissance" 12 hole, which is something of a gem. I had it retro fitted  with new
"old stock" 30 year old  original "Silver Concerto" reed  plates, to replace
the original "mellow tone" ones... And it is a great  harmonica.
Best wishes
John Walden