Re: [Harp-L] Zoom H4 + Simple Recording Setup

Robert Ross wrote:
"I have an M-Audio Microtrack which I prefer to the Zoom since it is
smaller, can easily be operated with one hand, has a larger screen
and is simpler to use. However it is also $100 more than the Zoom."
I bought a MicroTrack last week for $299 at Guitar Center.  Best price on a Zoom H4 I found was $249 at Amazon.  So I think the MT was only $50 more than the Zoom.

I went with the Microtrack due to many favorable reviews (on harp-L and elsewhere) and mainly due to size, ease of navigation, and hopefully superior sound,  But with the included T-mic I got horrible noise on "Low" sensitivity and with faders at 50%.  I've returned it and am awaiting a replacement, thinking there was something wrong with it.

But maybe I am kidding myself and the T-mic will always have hiss/roar for acoustic recordings at moderate volumes.  If so, I will have to think about the Zoom if it's built in electret mics are that much better than the one provided with the Microtrack.  Anyone know how these compare?  Was my original MT unit ok and that noise with the T-mic typical?  Anyone compare S/N on these two units with the electret mics?  I wish I could have side-by-sided them, but Guitar Center doesn't carry Zoom (Samson product).  Any advice on what to expect when my replacement MT arrives (hopefully this week) would be greatly appreciated.

Fred S