[Harp-L] Re: Why Learn Music Theory?

Perhaps on of the reasons that more harmonica players don't take the time to learn theory or to
learn to read music is that they do not think that it is important to their future as a musician.
Nothing could be
farther from  the truth.  Until one learns music theory or learns to read music, your musical
education and abilities will be incomplete.  There simply is no getting around that fact.  Yes
you will be able to play a
great deal of music and perform in certain genres with no problem if you don't study theory.
However, you will still be selling yourself short of soooo much music and knowledge.  There
in lies the difference
between becoming a complete musician and resigning yourself to just being a player.  I know
that there is alot of great blues players who perhaps don't know theory as well as a classically
trained musician, but
they know theory more than some might think.
For my masters degree I am doing a project on the blues scene in the San Joaquin (SJ) Valley
post WWII which came from the blues scene in LA and SF and met in the middle through
HWY99 which goes through
the SJ valley.  I have had the opportunity to interview several of the grand old bluesmen that
are fortunately still around and many of them speak about someone in their lives who taught
them their scales and
chords which, according to them, made a huge difference in their abilities.  It is important for
all harmonica players to study theory even in the smallest of increments.  Just gain a little
knowledge each day and
it will not seem as daunting a task.

regards,
Roger Gonzales