[Harp-L] music theory

I recently went to a harmonica workshop with our hero Tom Ball as an instructor.  I learned a lot and had a great time.

  Throughout the workshop all three teachers repeatedly stated that the students did not need to worry about knowing theory and that the teachers rarely used theory in performance or in communication with other musicians.  Within the next few sentences the teachers would invariably use words like Flat Third, the four chord, etc.

  Everything they said was within my theory vocabulary and I was not lost once.  However, it was clear that many of the students were lost.  The teachers took the time to explain it.  The students understood it for the moment.  Perhaps some of them understood it and are now able to converse or think about the ideas while playing music.  I would guess that some of them threw the knowledge away and will again get confused when someone uses this jargon to speak of music.

  My analysis of the situation is this; the teachers (representing the standard bar musician's use of theory) are so used to discussing music using theoretical jargon that the simple aspects of music theory (or what seems simple to the working musician) seem like common knowledge.  Common knowledge is in this way translated into NOT REALLY BEING music theory, because it is not difficult for them.

  However, most people who do not study music theory know nothing about it at all.  How many harp players have you met with a cheat sheet list of cross harp keys that they got from a book or harp-l?  When they hear the most basic music theory terms the speaker might as well be speaking in another language.

  What I propose is that there is a substantial amount of music theory that the average bar musician has gleaned without going to school as a music major.  Nearly all bar musicians converse using this theory without being aware that it is theory.  For the beginner to become versed in this he can either read books, comb harp-l, get teachers or immerse themselves in the music performance pool, dog paddling until he can swim.

  Therefore I put my intention out on the internet to create a DVD series entitled "Meat and Potatoes Music Theory for the Performing Harmonica Player".  Now, to create the money and time to do it.

  I do give phone and webcam lessons.  (Hopefully that plug is within the rules of harp-l, it is the only time I have done it and I will not make a habit of it.)

  Sincerely,
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com
  PS my lessons are free at SPAH