Re: [Harp-L] Name That Tume.... Please/Harp in Western swing

Richard Hunter wrote:
Mike Turk played harmonica in the 1970s with a Western Swing band in Boston, Massachusetts, led by John Lincoln Wright. He recorded a decent cover of "Roly Poly" with that group, which was released as a 45 RPM vinyl single.
Ah, I would love to hear that. When I originally posed the question, I was thinking of (but didn't say) slide chromatic. What I have heard in many western swing bands (including those mentioned) is country style harp. In fact, back in the mid-70s I led a band that played lots of western swing, based in Austin. For a while, our sax player was Jeffrey Barnes (now of Brave Combo fame). He played a mean country harp on some of our western swing fiddle tunes. What I have yet to hear, and would still like to try some time, is playing jazz slide chromatic in a western swing context. Seems like it would be a nice fit, not so different from gypsy swing (and I've heard a number of very capable folks playing slide chromatic in that style).

You're right about the chops some of the western swing players have, always blows me away. This Saturday, Cody and Wheel veteran Bobby Black is playing just outside of Santa Cruz and he's one of those guys (Don Quixote's in Felton -- I'll be there!). So is Cody and Wheel veteran Andy Stein, who plays with Guy's All Star Shoe Band (Prairie Home Companion).

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com