Re: [Harp-L] Re: Re; Doorless LW car

If it's a serious journal, then the quoted statement is completely
irresponsible - "may or may not have been wanted for murder"? That has
no place in serious scholarly work; it's just sensationalism for its
own sake. I wonder how John Lee's Williamson's relatives would feel
about such a statement?

If in fact the statement refers to John Lee. Literally that's what the
sentence says, but West Helena was Rice Miller's stomping grounds.
Still, either he was or wasn't wanted for murder. If it was a rumor,
and there is something to be understood socially or about Sonny Boy
personally from this, then it deserves to be labeled as such, or
explained in some way that gives it significance beyond lurid reading.
Are there police records? Was there a question of the true name of the
suspect (Rice Miller having woven such a web of confusion about his
name)? Did it lead to flight from the area to some other place, like
Chicago?

I'm not sure of the scholarly value of the piano player story, but at
least it's an apparently known story that may have literary value.
Again, social significance, portait of the artist, etc., and the author
or editor is doing the responsible thing in trying to attribute it. But
s/he should not let the murder allegation pass unexamined.

Winslow