[Harp-L] harp in bluegrass....

A while ago I posted the story of me being invited on stage with the great
Del McCoury Band at Strawberry Park Bluegrass Festival in CT. A blur indeed
as I was pretty buzzed up.the crowd reaction was so cool...they had not seen
a non stringed instrument on a festival stage in a long time. That was one
of my greatest moments in harpland.I still have a copy that was recorded on
cassette.I was just fakin'my heart out and it was working..Del's band came
over to my camp sight that night.they said it was the coolest thing to see
Del so happy.he just loved the whole thing. Harp is not always welcome in
some bluegrass traditional settings but when they open their eyes they can
be pleasantly surprised..the key for us harp folks is if the chance
comes.either you know the licks well or you lay back and pick your
battles..I remember just "darting" in and out with "complimentary " riffs
and Del grinning from ear to ear. Less than a year later Del & band won some
Grammys including best album.they were the hottest thing in bluegrass for a
while after that.

Less than a week to SPAH..Old Swilwaukee don't know what's gonna hit 'em :-)

WBee