Re: [Harp-L] Jimmie Vaughan and Omar Dykes/guitarists who play harp

Michael Rubin wrote:
Last night I went to see the Jimmy Reed Highway show, which may or may not turn around. Heavyweight blues guys in Austin put together an hour of Jimmy Reed tunes and played them pretty straight ahead. Two guys were famous enough that you might have heard of them.
Omar Dykes is the guitarist/singer for Omar and the Howlers. There were three other guitarists on the stage and Omar did not touch a guitar (in front of 6000 people. that's confidence in yourself, to not play your main axe. Of course, he is a GREAT singer)
Anyway, he brought out a harp and played some rudimentary cross harp. That was fun.
Jimmie Vaughan is most known for being Stevie Ray's brother, second known for being the original guitarist for the Fabulous Thunderbirds, a group from the late 70's and 80's that still tours with their frontman, an up and coming harp player, Kim Wilson. Jimmie brought out an A harp and blew a first position solo. What impressed me was that although his technique was rudimentary, he really understood the position well. Over the I chord he stuck to the high note with blow bends. Over the four chord he stuck to the 2 draw, 2 double , 2 blow, 1 blow pattern and played 4 blow then 3 single bend. Over the V chord he played a cross harp lick. The guy has been listening! So, besides the obvious Dylan and Young crowd, who have you seen surprise the audience by pulling out a harp for one tune?
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com