[Harp-L] re-forming lower cover

In a message dated 8/9/2007John K writes:

I've got a SP20 LoE that has that 1 draw buzz from the reed  brushing against
the cover plate. Can anyone suggest a fairly easy way to  re-form the lower
cover -- I don't want to accidentally raise the part of the  cover that is
supposed to be flush with the harp at the holes.  Is it as  easy as removing the
cover and bending it outward (carefully) with a flathead  screw driver?
--John K.

This problem was covered several years back and the solution came in  handy a
month ago when a SP20 in key of G was doing the same thing.  As  advised here
on harp L, i deformed the cover.  I am under the impression  that it isn't
simply a matter of bending the cover with a flathead screwdriver  because
deforming that way will bend and twist the cover, which will  negatively affect the
seal at the front of the harp.  What  I did  was to place the round metal ball
shaped end of a glass  cutter on the exact area I wanted to deform, and hit
the ball with a  hammer.  As an anvil, I simply put it on a rug covered floor -
not  very scientific, I know.  But the result, tho not exactly pretty, did
the  job without deforming the rest of the cover.
ron - FL Keys