RE: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harmonica

Cara Cooke contributed a boat load of great info on bluegrass harp. I'll
only respond
to her final and perhaps most "actionable" gem of wisdom:
> The most important things to know in bluegrass are: stay in time, stay in
> key (and mode), listen to the other players -- how you blend with them --
> and how you affect the overall sound, and have fun!!!

I could only add some specific advice from my personal experience playing in
a bluegrass jam group: Play some bass lines and rhythm harp to actively
support the other musicians when it isn't your break (you might as well take
advantage of the fact that the harp is a terrific rhythm instrument). With
no drums and often no bass, in a bluegrass ensemble there is by necessity a
lot of energy spent providing supportive rhythm. So think fiddle when you
play a break, but, as a source of creative inspiration when playing
off-break, imagine you are playing an upright bass or a mandolin. When the
other musicians learn that you are there to support the group and not to
just hang around waiting for your break, you'll have gone miles towards
acceptance, regardless of what instrument you play.

One other idea... Often when playing in a jam circle, you rotate who picks
the next tune. That can be daunting if you are new to the genre. A cool
idea, even if you haven't comitted the obigatory 20 or so bluegrass songs to
memory, is to "bluegrassify" tunes you already know. Some well-known, even
over-played 1st position tunes can become superb bluegrass tunes that way.
Speed up your best "Shenandoah" to a bluegrass rhythm and get the other
players going with you, and you're in like Flint.

At least that's the way I see it.  8^)

Michelle