[Harp-L] chamfering and tip scooping (was Seydel 1847overblow friendly)

In a message dated 8/11/2007 9:44:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Ludo  writes:

Also, when talking to Joe Filisko about it, he said he doesn't do any
chamfering (or tip scooping).

Ludo, thank you so much for your detailed response, and  for including the
links which made it easy to revisit a  subject we spoke of in the past.  It
would be great if more of us took  the time to include links or the subject's
relevant quotes -- lots of times I  miss stuff because I only get interested in a
thread after it has been developed  and by then the posters have stopped
including the relevant quotes.
  I own several great playing harps made by several different  customizers,
including 3 that are specifically made as OB harps.  To my  knowledge, judging
by the pictures that Fernando and you just sent
(_http://www.overblow.com/?menuid=161_ (http://www.overblow.com/?menuid=161)      &
_http://www.fractal.art.br/ecafhb/en/scooping.html_
(http://www.fractal.art.br/ecafhb/en/scooping.html) ), none  of my customized harps are chamfered or tip scooped.
  On Rupert Oysler's harp repair DVD, he shows a different method of  what he
calls tip scooping, and actually compares the results between two harps,  one
with and one without the tip scooping.  If chamfering is a beneficial
procedure, I wonder why the Filisko Guild doesn't use the process, and if  any
customizers use it on harps they sell.  Your method sounds like it  could be done
quickly, with the proper file (needle file).
  I will try this next time I work on some harps and will report the  results
on Harp-L.  Thanks again.
ron