Re: [Harp-L] why can't I bend?

Never say die my brutha.  I've seen people who eventually got good at harp
struggle a long time to get  bends down. I gotta ask you a couple of questions.
Do you have single notes down  real good. You have to be able to control all
of the air coming into, or going  out of your mouth through that one hole, with
no air escaping around the sides,  to be able to bend correctly. When you can
do that think of trying to get a real  think milkshake up through a straw,
what your tongue does, and do it without  tightening up your lips on the outside
of the harp. Let your lips be  relaxed and do all of the sucking of the straw
(so to speak) with your tongue.  When you tighten up your lips too much
trying to bend you lose the concentrated  air thing and it's almost impossible to
bend.
       I don't know if that is of any help  and I probably was redundant (I
heard the milkshake analogy here)  but  maybe if you try that this time, and
add to it anything else that helps you can  pull it off. Maybe doing that and
tilting the harp a little. Everybody has to  find their own combination of
things to play harp anyway.
     Stay focused grasshopper..........breathe  in.....breathe
out........very important breathe.
         You'll get it dude, stay  with it.

                Randy
     BiscuitBoy Blues

In a message dated 8/11/2007 11:18:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,