Re: [Harp-L] why can't I bend?

In a message dated 8/11/2007 12:24:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx writes:and writes again.

         Two of the questions  I forgot to ask are what kind of harps are you
playing, and what  keys are they in? Some keys are easier to bend then
others, depending  on the person and technique of course.

Never say die my brutha.  I've seen people who eventually got  good at harp
struggle a long time to get  bends down. I gotta ask you  a couple of
questions.
Do you have single notes down  real good. You  have to be able to control all
of the air coming into, or going  out  of your mouth through that one hole,
with
no air escaping around the  sides,  to be able to bend correctly. When you
can
do that think of  trying to get a real  think milkshake up through a straw,
what your  tongue does, and do it without  tightening up your lips on the
outside
of the harp. Let your lips be  relaxed and do all of the sucking of  the
straw
(so to speak) with your tongue.  When you tighten up your  lips too much
trying to bend you lose the concentrated  air thing and  it's almost
impossible to
bend.
I don't  know if that is of any help  and I probably was redundant (I
heard  the milkshake analogy here)  but  maybe if you try that this time,
and
add to it anything else that helps you can  pull it off. Maybe  doing that
and
tilting the harp a little. Everybody has to  find  their own combination of
things to play harp anyway.
Stay focused grasshopper..........breathe  in.....breathe
out........very important breathe.
You'll get it dude, stay  with it.

Randy
BiscuitBoy Blues

In  a message dated 8/11/2007 11:18:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,