Re: [Harp-L]Room Acoustics - was Howard Levy playing"Amazing Graccce"

In a message dated 8/11/2007 11:38:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

more  likely the poor quality is from the fact that is was recorded on
a video  recorder, vs. an audio rig.  or just the room acoustics in
general.

I believe it is the room acoustics. I've had a lot of experience with sound
in churches with hard surfaces and have spent the last three years studying
real  situations acoustically in order to master the BOSE system. Reverb has a
particular natural sound that keeps notes hanging in the air for long periods
of  time. It doesn't occur through a recording device - video recorder or
otherwise  without an effects loop. My ear hears natural acoustic reverberation on
this  clip. My experience with similar looking churches (up in Detroit) lead
me to  conclude that this reverb sound is the sound of that room. I've loved
playing in  rooms like this - without amplification. You can truly fill the
room with an  acoustic diatonic harmonica. In paying attention to the sound of
the instrument,  the way it is reinforced and also how it interacts with the
room acoustics, one  can not only play their instrument but they can "play the
room" as well. It is  one step beyond being concerned just with the notes you
play, or playing "in  your head".

With the BOSE system, you truly "play the room" rather than playing to your
monitor mix and the results can be amazing.

Opinion is based on my real life experiences of 30 years as a  musician.

The Iceman