Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harmonica

We have at least one fellow who plays great bluegrass versions of rock
tunes.  His version of "Viva, Las Vegas" and "Fly Like A Bird" are often
requested.  Some of the traditional bluegrassers, who normally would be
unencouraging to a jammer who played rock tunes, are some of the biggest
fans of his "Fly Like A Bird".  If the tune/song you want to play is good
and fits in, then try it out.  Sometimes you have to feel your way with the
limits of what everyone in the jam wants to play, but that is a part of the
dynamic of working with a group.  Some bluegrassers are real into acapellas,
but some are not.  Some bluegrassers are more into instrumentals than
others.  Some bluegrass jams have very few instrumentals in them.  It all
depends on who is there and who is playing -- the group dynamic.  If your
non-traditional stuff fits in with the group, then go for it.  If it
doesn't, then save it for another time.

The most important thing, however, in presenting something that not everyone
knows is to work out the details and how to communicate them to everyone
ahead of time -- be prepared.  Know your key, the chords, any stops, etc.,
so that you can clue everyone in and they won't have to stumble around on
the tune/song.  This preparation and communication can take practice, but it
will be worth it in the long run.

Cara