Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bluegrass harmonica

You forgot to add "Foggy Mt. Special" and "Don't Get Above Your Raisin'" and
many more.

Many bluegrassers aren't into the history of the music enough to realize
that Bill Monroe studied blues a bit and desired to include the blue stuff
in his music.  For that matter, many blues players may not realize that the
Charlie Monroe that is referenced as roots blues was part of the Monroe
Brothers: Bill, Birch, and Charlie.

Then again, how can we forget the many people Bill brought into his music:
Earl Scruggs, Chubby Wise, etc... many of whom brought even more blues/jazz
into the music.  If it suited his sound at the time, Bill wanted it.
Bluegrass is some of the most American music we have -- a melting pot of
sounds from many of the cultures that built this country.  It is all simply
tempered in a direction that is "bluegrass".

Like you said, music is music.

Cara