[Harp-L] Re: Why can't I bend?

Hi Steve,
   To remove the issue of whether you are getting single notes well enough, I recommend you tape off all but the hole of interest (4, for instance) while you explore what to do with your throat.  There are several ways to bend notes; I recommend you learn one that doesn't involve tongue position at all.  That way, your tongue will be entirely free to do other things (e.g., articulation, tongue-blocking, slap-ons and pull-offs).  To bend draw notes with your throat (soft palate), think about what happens when you say the "K" sound. The hard "G" sound.  When you try to get phlegm out of your throat.  All of these involve using the soft palate to make a constriction way down in the throat (K is higher up, G medium, throat clearing lowest).  Now replicate these actions while sucking in.  Now replicate them without completely closing the constrictions.  Now replicate them with the taped harp in your mouth.
   Hope this helps.
-John