[Harp-L] Theory, Communicating, and Pandora

Many of us agree that music theory is important to understand, if only so
you can better communicate with other musicians in a common language.  In
the same vein, I have found Pandora's podcast to be extremely informative in
learning about the structure of music.  There are episodes about chords,
dynamics, drum patterns, time signatures, major and minor, bass patterns,
guitar riffs, recording vocals, even hip-hop lyrics.  If you start with the
first episode and work forward to the most current, all the music theory
terms are introduced slowly and explained very well, but one of the great
things about these ten-minute lessons is that they rely very little on music
theory nomenclature.  There is an upcoming episode about the blues scale!

Where this stuff is most useful, in my opinion, is if you are ever in the
position to call out a song to a band (or at a jam) when you have not
previously rehearsed it.  This is something we learned and practiced at the
first Rockers in the Rockies, and I have learned even more about it from
Pandora's podcasts.  If you are interested in leading a band, even for one
song per set, you will benefit greatly from these audio lessons.  Of course,
they are totally free!  You can subscribe to the whole podcast or download
individual lessons in MP3 format from this site:

http://blog.pandora.com/podcast/

I have no affiliation with these guys.  It's just that everytime I listen to
a new episode, I think "wow, the people on Harp-L should hear this stuff!"
and today I finally remembered to email the list about it.  I wonder if they
will ever do an episode about the harmonica, and whether one of our list
members might be the guest on that one.

Jonathan Metts