[Harp-L] Ragtime harmonica at SPAH

Having re-ignited my interest in ragtime via a piano festival recently, I was
pleasantly surprised to find Adam Gussaw playing Scott Joplin's "The
Entertainer" during his table session of Joe Filisco's afternoon diatonic sessions. As
I didn't have a tape recorder, I didn't get a chance to record it. Maybe
somebody did. It was an excellent example of expanding the range of the blues
harp.

Then, talking to Tom Baerhr, I learned that he had written a ragtime piece.
Later on, when I asked him if he had written it out (no) or recorded it (no),
he volunteered to play it for me and my wife as we three stood in an alcove.
Called "Chromatic Rag," it was quite tasty and well within the spirit of
ragtime. And I'm looking forward to its further release.

Meanwhile, I'll get out my copy of "The Joy of Ragtime" and start hacking
away.
Sure beats trying to stuff a piano in your pocket.

Phil Lloyd

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at