Re: [Harp-L] chrom-style bends on a valved diatonic?

You can achieve chrome style bends ONLY on a VALVED diatonic.

There are at least two kinds of bends on a harmonica.
 Single reed bends and
   double reed bends.

The bends most commonly talked about are the Double Reed Bends on a diatonic
or blues harp. If you draw on hole No. 1 and bend it down a half step to Dd or
C# (two names for same note) the bend starts on the draw reed but finishes up
on the blow reed. In other words the Draw 1 (D) can be bent down to Db. When
two reeds "interact" the bend is the distance between the two reeds.

The chromatic has windsavers also called valves on most of its reeds. (I
think the high reeds don"t --but I don't have time to check)

The Suzuki ProMaster 350V (valved) and the Hohner Slide Harp are half valved,
meaning they have windsavers/valves on the draw reed plate. Both the
ProMaster and Slide Harp are richter tuned (like the Marine Band layout. It is the
valves that enable single-reed bends; not the richter layout.

What this means that you can blow bend the Hole No. 1 C down a half step to a
B on the ProMaster, Slide Harp and valved chromatics. This is a single reed
bend. The valves block the interaction between the two reeds.

I believe Seydel makes an unvalved/windsaverless 12-hole chromatic for the
main reason of eliminating all the issues from stuck/clogged windsavers. Anyone
buying that harp thinking it will bend like a blues harp will be disappointed.
Without the windsavers the chrome will bend a half-step from Hole 1 Draw D to
Db, Hole 3 a half-step from A to Ab. That is because Hole 1 (Blow C,Draw D
and all other similar holes) and Hole 3 (Blow G Draw A and similar) are the only
two   hole-combinations that allow bending. The other two hole combinations
-- Blow E, Draw F and C blow and B draw -- have no notes between the blow and
draw reed, so no double reed bend is possible.

This question came up at SPAH when a talented young (a lot younger than I am)
man observed that he was going to take the windsavers off his chromatic so he
could bend. I assured him he would not get much bending and a real leaky
harp.

As to putting valves on solo tuned diatonic there are several problems.
* First you have to find a solo-tuned diatonic
* They only come in the key of C
* And why bother to hunt one up and then paste valves on it when you could
buy an inexpensive chrome that already has valves. Just ignore the button, like
the old-time blues guys did.

(Hohner still makes a 12-hole solo tuned Marine Band in C, list price $49;
Huang makes a 12-hole solo tuned harp in C with a list price of $7.95 (I found
it listed on http://www.superdupermusic.com/harmonica/2370200.html
There is a lot of misinformation floating around regarding valves. You don't
need to understand the physics of it, just the two kinds of bends and that the
twain mostly never meet.

Also check the Harp-l archives, this chestnut has been around the park a few
times.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd