[Harp-L] reed going flat when played hard

In a message dated 8/23/2007 10:48:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time, Winslow
writes:

A reed going sharp when played harder(er)  - this suggests that  the reed is
hitting something. Hold the reedplate up to a bright light so it  shines
through the slot around the reed. You'll probably notice
either a  burr or misalignment of the reed in the slot. Either shift the reed
a little  or clear the burr, and the problem may go away.

Winslow, thanks so much for this and for all your valuable  contributions
thru the years.
  Re the subject of this mail, you hit the nail right on the  head.  I was
overzealous with my glasscutter and had created a burr in  the slot near the
rivet end.  I had to use my LO reed wrench to move the  reed out of the way so I
could scrape the side of the slot.  It corrected  my problem.  Thanks again.
  As to my other question re what harp key is the cutoff between  long slot
and short slot on Lee Oskar harps, no one answered so i will re-post  my
question under another subject - I'm trying to find out the reason why  my Hohner
reed was short in the slot compared to a LO reed.
Ron