Re: [Harp-L] Loud?

Sacking the valves totally will make the instrument unplayably leaky.

Do you like the tone of any of the chromatic players you have listened
to? Toots Thielemans, Larry Adler, Stevie Wonder, for example?

If their tone sounds as bad to your ear as you describe, then perhaps
you just don't like the sound of the chromatic. if their sound does
appeal, then I would make two suggestions:

1) work on your technique

2) work to make your chromatics a bit more airtight (mouthpiece/slide
combination, embossing reed slots and setting gaps, ensuring snug and
flat fitting of reedplates to comb and to back of slide assembly,
covers properly aligned).

Chromatics can be played loudly and can be optimized for loud playing,
but it may require some adjustment of technique if your primary
instrument has been unvalved diatonic. If you're a hard hitter on
diatonic, you may need to ease up on the attack - but no need to let up
on the airflow as long as you are using oral resonance that does not
fight the reed's resonant frequency.

Winslow