[Harp-L] Was Seydel Vs... now 1847

The Seydel Blues Session Standards are very affordable at $27-$37,
while the
1847's go for $85.00 each (but they sure look beautiful!). Is there a
significant difference in tone, action, longevity?

Thanks in advance!

  The 1847 has a wonderful tone. I can get a lot more expression from it. I don't feel like I'm limited by the harp like I used to with others, I feel more like the harp is limited by me. I only have on Forty Seven, in C. When I play in other keys, then go back to G, I have to back off to keep from drowning everyone else out. Seydel had to do so much engineering to make this harp work, they had to sit down and say ''what's the best way to make a Five Draw,''' etc. They've been working on this maybe 30 years, who knows, but I know they were working on this when they were run by the East German government, they just didn't have money to get it off the ground.
  My point is, they had to develop so much stuff to make this stainless steel reed work, they looked at everything. I think if you put brass reeds in this harp, it would be just as loud, but wouldn't last as long. It has a LOT more volume, I believe this is due to the coverplate design and the tolerances. One reason the tolerances are better is because they developed a way to cut the reedplate from both sides, instead of just one. That made a big difference.

  Longevity is something it should have, it could, last forever. Only time will answer that question, but steel is a heckuva lot tougher than brass.

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer
1114 Charles St.
Parkersburg, WV 26101