[Harp-L] Re: Loud (Chromatics)

I've had similar trouble getting started on the chromatic and making it sound like a real instrument rather than a little machine that plays notes. I think it has a lot to do with your own tone (which seems to be produced differently than on diatonic harps). If you work on the attack (start soft and get louder, or vice-versa, on every note), using slight bends in and out of some notes, the timing of when to press the button between notes, and especially vibrato, I think these all come together to make the chromatic sound more musical. Maybe it is harder to get that sweet sound out of the chromatic because the valves prevent all the nice overtones that come easily when playing the diatonic. Chromatic experts can now correct every single thing I just wrote. ;-)

Jonathan