Re: [Harp-L] Seydel vs. OTC harps

Tom Klingl wrote:
> Richard,
>
> What kind of work are you doing on your Lee Oskars?
> Re-gapping, embossing? How do you avoid them squeaking?
>
> Thank you in advance

I emboss the reed slots with a penny, after which I tune and gap.

I've learned to play overblows on LOs so they don't squeak. But there are limits to what you can do with an overblow on an LO--for example, how you have to approach the note, how long you can hold it, etc.--and I extend the limits gradually. I use a lot of special tunings too, so it's often easier for me to switch harps than to use OBs.

I've been wondering whether it's really a good idea to emboss the reed slots on the harps I've recently purchased. As manufacturing techniques improve, the reed slots should be near-perfect when the harp leaves the factory. Making them tighter may not be a great idea. But gapping is always necessary, except in the rare cases where the tech at the factory somehow set the harp up for exactly the way you like to play.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at mysapce.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter