Re: [Harp-L] 10 hole German major valved chromatic

--- fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My post is more a reaction to the thought that
> good
> tone is good tone across the board.  It isn't for me.  These are two
> completely different but related instruments.  fjm

At the deepest level, good tone is good tone and is produced
fundamentally the same way on all harmonicas. But if you play only (or
mainly) one type and then pick up another, you notice the differences
more than the similarities.

To a certain extent, you have to step back from your built-up specific
adaptations to that one type of instrument so that you can apply what
you already know to another type of instrument.

That's the point of that simple breathing exercise I posted. It allows
you both to focus on tone fundamentals - getting the reed chop
vibrating inside your body - and to adapt to the instrument you are
actually playing instead of the one built up in habit.

Do I notice differences as I go back and forth among different types of
harmonica? Of course. And I notice it among two different individual
harmonicas of the same type. But it usually takes only a few moments to
adapt, because I've gained enough familiarity that the common
fundamentals are stronger than the individual differences.

Winslow