[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 71

I have been playing the Hering Free Blues harmonicas for about a year now. They are only $11.00 and I love them. Anyone have any comments on them? I am thinking about buying a Hering chromatic. Any comments as to which one? Are the chromatics recommended?

Bill

  I have two Hering Free Blues, in Eb and Ab, two harps I almost never play. Funny you should mention them, cause I spent an hour tuning one tonight. When you make a harp for 11 bucks, you cut some corners, the biggest I've noticed on the Free Blues is the gapping and tuning. I took out the Ab and played it, sounded horrible. The whole thing was flat, seemed like the reference pitch was around 438 Hertz... I tuned it up to 442 and lowered the gaps so I could play without passing out. It's a decent harp now. I like them for the keys I don't play, but I want to have. You can't beat them for 11 bucks and they ain't even made in China.
  On the whole, Hering makes some good harps. I would recommend their chromatics, as long as you never have to buy parts, I've had a lot of trouble getting parts. They are built sturdy, sound great, tuned fairly well.

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer
1114 Charles St.
Parkersburg, WV 26101