[Harp-L] Was Loud Guitar, now Loud Harp Amps

Regarding Rick Estrin's use of the Harp King in order to compete with his
band mate's guitar volume, Iceman wrote <<snip>>

<< Fighting fire with fire will probably
eventually cause  left ear hearing loss. Also, the harmonica sound from a
Harp
King give  a tone more like Rod Piazza and takes away from Rick's
individualized  and instantly recognizable sound.>>

With all due respect I've heard that argument before regarding the Harp  King
making you Piazza-toned and based on my experience I can't buy it. I've
played through a friends Harp King and once I got it dialed in I thought I
sounded quite like myself tone wise -- that is to say, decidedly not like  Rod
Piazza (not that that would be terrible). The amp has controls that can  color your
tone in many directions and I felt it captured my  personal sound really
well. Also, last winter I heard Dennis Gruenling play  through a HK when he
stopped in Chicago during his tour with Dave Gross. He  sounded more like Dennis
Gruenling than ever. That is to say, incredible and  with his own hornlike tonal
coloring, which didn't remind me at all of Rod  Piazza.

I can't speak to Estrin's hearing loss, and the volume thing is something
else altogether. Is it a drag that the trend is toward loud and  that specialty
harp amps are helping to level the playing  field with guitarists now? That's
debatable I guess. I'm not a fan of loud.  But I gig with a Meteor these days
and it gives me what I need to be heard  when I need it (and just as
importantly, to hear myself) without any  compromise in reproducing my own sound. I
like that and I like that the boutique  amp market is sort of thriving. I
wouldn't mind gigging with a Harp King  either, if I could get someone to carry it
for me.

tom albanese