Re: [Harp-L] RE: Loud drunk guitar players

> Basically I don't think a lot of guitarists appreciate how loud they are. I
> understand the amp/tone argument, but I don't think that's all the story
> either. A lot of the time, guitarists are oblivious because they are
> standing in completely the wrong place - right in front of their speakers
> where a lot of the sound waves won't even have formed properly yet; what
> they hear are the attenuated sound refelections.

A good guitarist will realize where the best placement of his amp is. A good guitarist will also know the correct volume for the best sound. The sad fact is that a good guitar amp is at it's best when overdriven and loud enough to where the volume from the speaker starts to feed back into the pickups. That can't be done effectively at low volumes. Hendrix played loud and understood why it sounded right. Some guitarists play loud for loud sake and don't understand the process or how to get a good sound at a reasonable volume. It can be done. You can't duplicate a tube amp feeding back into a pickup with correct volume, good speakers, and proper breakup with digital equipment or bad amplifiers or bad guitar players. Just my .02 as a guitarist and harp player.

Tom