Re: [Harp-L] My comment on Jason Ricci

On Dec 3, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Haka Harri wrote:

Thanks for all the response, on- and off-list, on my post yesterday. I just want to add that it was not targeted against Jason Ricci as a musician but rather amazement at the praise he gets on harp-l vs many other harp players.

I wasn't aware that he was receiving a whole lot of coverage. I know that I (myself) have said some things. Forgive me if I went overboard.

I was surprised that some comments downgraded the Walters and Sonny Boys because they are not alive and doing gigs anymore.

Well, although I'm not the one who initially made that comment, as one who has heard them live. my personal opinion is that they weren't as good as a lot of people seem to think they were. But they sang and WERE a complete package, so I guess there was a certain amount of mystique to them. Again, personally, I feel there are people out there right now whom are as good if not better. More diversified, more interesting, more able to get me off my couch to go and see them. I prefer to support the living in this regard.

As a devotee of classical art, on a recent trip to Amsterdam, I was enthralled to be able to see the paintings of the Dutch Masters close up. Instead of out of a book. As I pored over them I realized that they never got the recognition that they deserved in their own lifetimes.
I don't want that to happen the players of today. I want them recognized WHILE they are with us.

Also wearing sunglasses, day or night, doesn't make one a lesser musician.

Never said he WAS a lesser musician. I have heard him too and he is excellent. Just couldn't remember his name. And, he has gotten TONS of coverage over the years. Beaucoup write-ups. BTW, I live in Fla. where it is sunnier than Hawaii, and I don't wear shades at night or in the house. I prefer to see someone's eyes. Now, it's totally their option to not let me see them. BUT, then it's MY prerogative to wonder why. Capische?

Sorry if my post has caused consternation..It wasn't intended as such. :(
smokey-joe

I appreciate that all forms of music and instruments develop and change with time. Jonathan Ross pointed out an interesting musician, Bad News Brown. Hip-hop is not my favorite genre but this guy is amazing on harp. I also appreciate the work Jason Ricci is doing towards keeping the harp alive as a credible instrument.

Harri