Re: [Harp-L] What's a double Stop??

Randy, for an example of my playing with numerous tongue blocked bends, check out my videos on SNARKUS' you tube site. One number 'After The Lovin', (while not particularly fast) shows that bends are available by tongue blocking.

Rocky Top, Bobbie McGhee, Is Anybody Going to San Antone, and a hundred others I do are relatively lively and usually contain 29.63% bent notes. My versions of Londonderry Aire & Georgia on My mind are nearly completely made of slurs (or smeared notes). ALL are tongue blocked.

Back to double stops. Yes, it is true that two notes TOGETHER can also be played with a double stop. But this is not usually the intent. Double stops sometimes lead to something called tongue switching. , Remember ..the 'stop' part is the corner webs of YOUR mouth
stopping' further notes. It would be possible, given a large enough mouth, to play 5 or 6 holes (on a chromo, for example), and let's say that these holes were 3,4,5,6,7,8. You would be 'double stopping' holes 2 and 9. But usually the double stops are used to make 3rds, 5ths, 7ths. In other words split partial chords.

Sometimes it is advantageous to block OUT notes in the MIDDLE of this array. These would be a 'tongue stop' (on that or those particular notes). Double stops also work on diatonics but you have to be more careful because of the note layout. And ESPECIALLY on the draws (where the 5th draw can cause a discord). One of the reasons I adjust the #5 draw is to negate this problem.

Hope I haven't confused anyone
smokey-joe