[Harp-L] Sonny Jr. Cruncher Roars

Sonny certainly doesn't need an endorsement from me, but I thought I would just say that I recently received a Cruncher and it Roars!  Some first impressions:  It has great punch and definition even when it is overdriven.  It sounds great -- gets me smiling and saying "Oh, yeah."  Even though it is a bit smaller than his 410, it should work just fine w/o lining out or miking in many situations -- it is a 2-6L6 fixed bias amp (basically a 5F6-A Bassman circuit) and so is just more powerful than some other amp designs.  If you did decide to line out or mike it, I can't imagine needing more stage volume than the Cruncher puts out (in my experience anyway).  But don't get me wrong -- it's not just about volume -- the tone is huge, full, warm, with lots of cut and punch.

  It also happens to be a gorgeous looking amp.  Attention to detail, for example, tight, smooth tweed application even on the contours of the back panel cutouts.  Beautiful laquer finish on the tweed (a touch on the dark side -- very rich).  I know Sonny is considering going to tolex to keep costs down -- I expect it will still be beautiful (and sound the same!).  I am really looking forward to gigging with it at the Mangy Moose in Jackson Hole next Friday.
  --John K.