[Harp-L] Seydel 1847 Harps? I got a B-Harp version, (in A), by Ben Bouman

When I first met Ben Bouman in May of '06, he sold me two Seydels: a low Bb and a regular D with metal comb.  Both are really fine harps on their own, Seydel clearly makes very good professional instruments.  I also watched him and Jason Ricci spend 3 hours talking about and modifying their harps.  Masters, both.

Now I own a Seydel 1847 modified by Ben, a "B-Harp" in the key of A, and it's a dream, easy and pleasurable to play.  The harp is tight, fluid, very responsive, and, although I didn't pay extra for it, it does seem to do overblows easily (I'm no expert there, I really only use those to scare the cats and neighbors).

Based on what I've read and how it feels, the stainless steel reeds, which sound great, a little brighter than my usual OTB SP20s yet just about as soft and certainly as tone-fat, should hold tone and tune longer, and I am looking forward to getting a higher register B-Harp for further comparison.   They ain't "cheap" but if they keep their fine sound and feel longer than a SP20 they're a great value.

-Dave Fertig