Re: [Harp-L] Re: Rock and roll hall of fame ; bah humbug

With the death of Ike Turner last week there were several accompanying stories regarding his life and art. Interesting to me to learn that Rocket 88 is considered the first Rock and Roll song and that he wrote it with his band on the way to a recording session. James Cotton's earlier cover of that song being just superb. With a lot of blues songs I heard the more popular R&R version first only to much later discover the earlier original blues version. In this case I heard James Cotton's version long before the Ike Turner version. The Fresh Air website has a nice interview with Ike Turner and they play some of his music too. fjm