[Harp-L] statistics

I last purged the trash in the owner's mailbox on the 17th of Novemeber.
As of today right this minute there are 4,443 messages in trash.  The vast
majority are just spam.  At least once a day but usually 3-4 times a day
we go through the inbox and check for real messages.  A lot of times
people trying to reach us with a problem use an incorrect address so their
request comes in either as a bounce or an uncaught bounce in an
attachment.  Generally speaking we actually find and read those lost
messages.  There is another mailbox, it probably has 20,000 messages in it
right now.  That's in a period of a month and a half.  That one I won't
really read as I delete.  I just skim it.  Then there's the bounce queue
that Mailman has.  It actually has more traffic in a day than the owner's
inbox.  Again mostly spam but stray posts get stuck there too.  Anytime
someone bcc's harp-l the post gets held.  Non member submissions also get
stuck.  Over limit, for example attaching a file or quoting a digest.
Those posts all get a personal typed explanation in reply.  cc'ing too
many addresses also holds a post.  Anything over 3 addresses and it gets
queued. Native html posts also get held because they'll be over the 15 kb
limit.  There's no fixing that though because even if I override the hold
the posts get content filtered, again a personal typed note has to go out
to explain where the person's post disappeared to.

Another category of held post is help unsubscribe me.  A lot of those end
up on the list but many of them are filtered to the queue.  Realise that
any time you see a unsubscribe hit the list that person will have been
unsubscribed within minutes of us seeing the request.  I really appreciate
that people have for the most part stopped sending detailed instructions
on how to unsubscribe  to the entire list. By the time they appear the
person is usually gone anyhow.

The google group is slowly growing, 45 members as of yesterday.  There is
a nice statistics page there.  Want to to know who's posting the most
prolifically this month?  Check statistics on the google group.  It also
has a lifetime statistic.  The file upload feature has been enabled
forever.  Nobody is using it.  There's tons of space.  If you want to
upload a file there join and do it.  No copyrighted content unless you
control the copyright.  The google group is getting a lot of web hits.  An
update on the google custom search link I posted a couple of days ago.  I
was correct in that the index is not always very current.  I could not
find the What a Wonderful World post using that engine.  fjm
harp-l-listowner