[Harp-L] harmonica duos, Larry Adler

   Don't forget to add Pete Pederson and Jim Watkins to that duo list.
   Great Larry Adler posts, by the way.  To me, Larry digging Sonny Terry's
harpwork is not far-fetched.  I've always felt that Larry had a lot of blues
in his playing.  And when you think about it; both men were noted for using
their hands quite a bit while playing.  I know the prevailing opinion is
that most of this was showmanship.  But I was lucky enough to see Adler work
at least a dozen times and Brownie and Sonny a good half dozen.  I don't
ever remember either man using his hands and it not affecting what I heard.
   As far as recommending an Adler recording, I prefer his older stuff.  I
was digging through the record cut-out bins at E. J. Korvette's years
ago and came across a copy of  "Works for Harmonica and Orchestra"
featuring Larry playing pieces by Milhaud, Arnold, Benjamin, and Williams.
It was only $1.99!  Great album, but unfortunately my copy had a 10 minute
long scratch!  Later I found a clean copy.  It's probably my favorite Adler
recording, but I had to give it up sometime later when I went to see Adler
play in Chicago.  Normally, I would have never had the nerve to speak to the
guy except that eventually the waiters told him a young kid (me) had been
in his audience nearly every evening for two weeks.  So, either out of
curiosity or courtesy, he stopped by my table and chatted.  Turned out he
was having a problem doing radio interviews across the country.  He carried
his stuff on cassettes and apparently it was much easier for the radio
stations to deal with vinyl records.  He especially wanted a copy "Works for
Harmonica" to display his classical chops.  What could I do?  I offered to
bring my clean copy over the next evening.  When he asked "What do I owe
you?"; it was one of my life's great pleasures to tell him "I wouldn't dream
of taking a penny for it, it's yours!".  And he autographed my "Larry Adler
Again" lp, a recording I would recommend without hesitation.  Standards
don't get much prettier.
   I'll admit that occasionally I regret my generosity when I put my other
copy of "Works" on the turntable and that endless scratch reappears.

Mick Zaklan