[Harp-L] Re: Gus origin/coinage

Hello Harp-L'ers !

Oh yes, I still exist.   Once a Gus, always a Gus, and a gussin' I will go !

Please do NOT change my name,as you have brought me great famebut no fortune (well that's mostlymy doing!).

I have had little time to write aboutmy harmonica adventures over the pastseveral years.

Been too busy working for FEMA, so you can just imagine how busy I have been.

I sure do miss reading posts by all thosefamous Harp-L'ers from many years ago, like Barry Bean (who really made me famous),Sam Gravina, Paul Messinger, Pat Missin, Mike Will, Alec Drachman, Peter Krampert, Gary Indiana Warren, Magic Dave, Ironman MikeCurtis, Tom Ellis, and many more that mybeer-soaked brain can't remember right now.

There are still many familiar names that I rememberseeing for all these years like Winslow Yerxa,MojoRed, Steve Webb, and occasionally Tom Albanesee,and fjm (what the heck is your real name anyways?I've been dying to know all these years!).

Well for sure, I'm not the only Gus in the world,so don't blame me for all the gussin going on...
So leave my name and verb as is !

"Loozerus" ?  WTF ?

Guss happens!

Your harmonica friend,Gus Harper

> --- fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:33:24 -0700> > From: fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx>> > To: h-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>> > CC: > > Subject: [Harp-L] Gus origin/coinage> > > > The story and the moniker originated with Barry> > Bean. There was the > > initial post about the experience and then about 2> > months later the > > formal proposal for a coinage. By then it had> > already been used as a > > verb. It is an extremely entrenched term. It has> > the advantage of > > being organic. fjm> > > > From: "Barry B. Bean"> > Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 09:16:19 EST> > Subject: Gig notes> > > > > > I broke a cardinal rule this weekend. I let a harp> > player I'd never> > heard walk up in mid-set and gave him a mic.> > > > Now you'd assume that someone walking up and asking> > to sit in wants to> > play the same sort of music the band is already> > playing, right? You'd> > assume that you could just launch into the next song> > on the set list> > and simply hand the solos over to the guy sitting> > in, right?> > > > Whoah, nellie!> > > > My man Gus (a mountain of a man, complete with with> > crewcut and> > gravelly voice) walks onto the stage, whips out some> > sort of a chord> > harp and says "Oh Suzanna, boys!" After 3 or 4> > verses of oh Suzanna,> > we thank him profusely and start to vamp on the next> > song (Further on> > up the road). Before we can get into it, Gus> > announces that his next> > number will be You are My Sunshine. Again, we thank> > him and try to> > start our next song, but Gus isn't leaving. He says> > "one more boys!"> > and launches into Blue Eyes Cryin' In the Rain.> > Finally he leaves the> > stage and we gat back on with the show.> > > > So its back to the old "audition during break" rule> > for us. Sheesh.> > > > BBB> > -> > B.B. Bean - Have horn. Will travel.> > > > > > From: "Barry B. Bean"> > Date: Thu, 16 May 96 18:29:32 -0500> > > > > > I think maybe we should coin an expression here.> > Gus, like Bogart> > could serve as both a noun and a verb:> > > > Gus: (gus) N. 1) An amateur harmonica player who> > forces professional> > musicians to accompany him in inappropriate> > situations. 2) A visiting> > musician (see: sit-in) who does not leave the> > bandstand at the> > appropriate time. 3) A musician whose skills are> > substantially below> > those of the other musicians onstage with him. Ex.:> > Don't look now,> > but there's a Gus at 3 o'clock.> > V. 1) To force one's way into a musical performance> > against the> > wishes of the scehduled performers. 2) To remain> > onstage for longer> > than appropriate when asked to accompany previously> > scheduled> > musicians. Ex.: Primich was great last night but> > some old codger> > Gussed his way onstage and played Oh Suzannah.> > -> > B.B. Bean - Have horn. Will travel.
i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_Cause_Effect