[Harp-L] Sealing wood combs

David Payne wrote:

I use a water-based stain on the back and sides, then salad bowl finish. I
wouldn't want to use a shellac that's not food grade. Also, when you put the
finish on, the first coat needs to be really light,  you run the risk of warping
if you don't. Actually, all the coats should be pretty light.

This subject has come up many times thru the years and i thought it was accepted here that salad bowl finish (comes in a spray can) was the best method.? Yes, heating wax is dangerious. G's excellent harp site prob. covers it, as he burned himself terrible with the beeswax process.? http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/harptechtips.html
??Dave, why bother with using a stain?? Does that have a practicle?purpose or is it purely cosemetic?
ron (in NJ from FL for the holidays)