[Harp-L] Continuing story of Gus

I can't remember when I first met Smokin' Joe, but I would never have thought him capable of ever being a gusser.   Another image shattered!  I have to admit that in my fifty plus years of harmonica involvement, I have never gussed; but, I have been gussed.  It was actually a positive thing in this case.  When you are doing the "old age home circuit", any response, even gussing, is welcome.

  Up here in this part of the world (Toronto), when I was in the "law and order" end of music events, it was a management responsibility to deal with gussers, not the band's.  There are two kinds of gussers.  Those who are on a different planet due to booze or drugs and those who are seeking to make their name, good or bad.  With the former, reason does not work, but a trip to the side door does, willing or unwilling.  With the latter, it comes down to choices, which is good.  You either stop playing or you will be blowing your harp through an alternate orifice.  The first choice was most often taken.  At large events, it's not as easy, but it can be done.  It's not always a good idea to let the crowd solve its own problems.

  On the serious side, thank you harmonica world out there, for sharing all that harmonica music, information and stuff.   Have a great 2008 and hope to see many more of you at a SPAH convention or, like Fernando Bresslau who is here right now, come and check out the harmonica scene in Toronto-lots of friendly players and harmonica history.

  All the best,

  Manfred Wewers