Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 42, Issue 3

--- Rebecca Davis Winters <wordworkshop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> But really, the harmonica itself is
> kind of
> phallic, in terms of the shape and the fact that the player becomes
> the
> passive receiver of the harmonica.

Could that statement be a feminine viewpoint attributed to males? I'm a
male player and never feel that I'm a passive receiver. I feel I must
actively persuade the harmonica to respond and that I'm exploring its
ability to do so. With some of my male students I have to get them to
back off on their attack and give the instrument a chance to respond
instead of squeaking in protest. Sometimes with female students it's
the opposite; they have to be encouraged to be more forward and meet it
halfway (though I did once have a teenage male student who would hold
the harp an inch in front of his face and reach out to it with his
lips).

<snip>

> Now, as to cheating on your harp - whatever its gender, or yours - I
> think
> it depends on the harmonica. Some are no doubt polyamorous, like
> people.
> Others will be old-fashioned and somewhat conservative. Maybe it
> depends on
> what you play on the harmonica. Harps used for gospel music will no
> doubt
> want fidelity in a relationship, and will probably quote the Bible at
> you if
> they catch you cheating with another instrument.

My wife has always accepted and enjoyed my harmonica playing. But when
I bought a diatonic accordion a few months ago (it was just a little
one!) she felt betrayed.

Winslow

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.