[Harp-L] Re: Re: Re: Re: Spect: Just a little bit (Was "Train Time")

I think what we're talking about here perhaps is the average harmonica
players expectation of what is considered to be "normal" in terms of
learning ability. In retrospect, I really don't think there IS any such
thing as "normal", unless one defines what is to be considered "normal", and
states it to be so, as a guideline for the rest of us, all exceptions to the
rule. I mean, who can consider themselves as "the average joe" (unless, of
course, one is named "joe", and is, of course, "average"). I, for one,
believe that all of us are straight up miracles, and unique, in the sense of
there only being "one" of each of us. I don't put a lot of stock in each of
us merely being a "statistic", but rather, unique individuals with unique
opportunities and unique sets of circumstances. But that's just me. That's
who I am.

I think, in this universe, or even this sub-set of the known universe, the
harmonica sub-set to be specific, that there is the great possibility that
one may have learned, yea even "mastered" (though this was not the claim)
"Train Time" in its "entirety" over the course of a week. I know that when I
was a youth I was such an introvert, and so socially challenged (read:
unencumbered with the potentially distracting elements of a rich social
environment) as to merit the gift of musical talent on almost any instrument
I took an interest to. Once I began a musical quest, I simply continued
undistracted until I had reached that level of success that was most
rewarding to me. One might say that when I stroked an instrument, I kept on
stroking, until satisfaction was achieved. So,,in terms of "Train Time",
satisfaction may, perhaps, equate to having "learned" this piece "in its
entirety". (I do hope this adds to the present discussion on the symbolistic
views of harmonica as a sexual object.) Anyway,,I digress.

I, for one, believe that we all are highly unique, and wish to be discovered
as such, even when making attempts to emulate those we respect. I also hope
always to be not only an exception to the rule, but also someone who is able
to follow in the footsteps of those who have gone before, to some extent,
showing due respect and admiration for the skills and dedication those who
led the way have shown, in the harp-dom. However, as much as I do admire
those who presently and in the past have played harp so well as to cause me
to want to emulate them, there are limits to just how closely I care to
follow, for fear of losing my own brand of individuality, uniqueness, and
taste. I, for instance, don't care as much as others to learn some of the
more bandied about techniques as "the best cupping", or "____-blocking". I
have a LOT of fun playing harp just the way I presently do (seemingly quite
opposite to the way many others have learned, as I use a quite unique
method, known only to myself, which I may describe by using a personally
coined term, "toe-blocking", simultaneously reaching around my head with
both arms, holding the harmonica alternately in one or the other armpit,
creating a most mellow and tasty tone through the natural cavities thereof,
while sitting in the Yoga position known as the "curly kielbasa", blocking
unwanted holes with various toes), and have quite enough praise coming my
way to satisfy any need to feel appreciated as a harp player. Maybe there's
a "harp-vacuum" in my area, but I turn heads and get compliments on my own
playing, in spite of my not blocking like so-and-so, or cupping like this
guy or that. I think I have enough idiosyncracies in my playing to set me
apart simply because of my efficient and skillful use of rhythms, tempo not
being the decisive factor in my opinion, short of being IN tempo with the
rest of the band. It's a groove thang, baby, and when you're in it, you're
in it.. I look at most instruments as basically percussive, with tonality
thown in as a plus. I'm a confessed beater, with melody added alongside as
information is added to the carrier wave in radio science through
modulation.

The techniques I have learned in practicing harp came to me naturally, not
through a kind of "mold" based on others performances, and I simply do not
care to "sound just like so-and-so", but rather, to sound like myself, thank
you. Perhaps one may ask, when the first harmonicas came into the posession
of some share cropper or whoever it was that could lay claim to having first
"played the blues", who taught them to hold the harp? block? Aren't there
various schools for each facet of "harp discipline"? I mean, nothing here is
dogma. My karma ran over your dogma, ma.

As you can see,,I'll not soon be signing up for harp classes, though "I like
to watch". Sooner, I'd invite a maintenance and repair class into my busy
schedule. I'm simply not interested in someone showing me the "proper way"
to hold, or play, the harp, which I consider to be my personal and intimate
friend. My relationship with my harp is much too intimate for that, my
friend.

Having said all of that, some of it "tongue" or perhaps "harp"-in-cheek, I
quickly have to admit that I do so appreciate the existence of the "-l" in
my daily reading, so as to always help to keep me "in the groove" when I'm
falling out. I find that striving for "the tone" is contagious, infectious,
and motivating. The community here is rich with example, and ought to be the
starting place for any new harp newbie, if only to see, hear, and understand
how others are "doing it", in the quest for one's own experience.

Harp till the cows come home.

Bob