Re: [Harp-L] Musicians and Police

On Feb 4, 2007, at 10:15 PM, Will Vogtman wrote:

Mr. Canterbury,

From my perspective, police officers seem to enjoy harrassing musicians..

Not true

Intellectually, I certainly DO NOT believe that musicians are particularly targetted.

Good

However, in the moments when I am accosted, I have the gut-level reaction that I am being targetted.

You are

What am I and my fellow musicians doing to attract such negative attention?

You're making sound. Sound attracts attention

What can we do to avoid the situation? I assure you that I play good, quality music at reasonable volume levels.

You can't avoid this situation. Here's how it works. People will complain or HAVE complained over the years that although people should be allowed to play & hear the music THEY like, this doesn't mean that they have to subject others to have to listen to it. While your music may be quality and at low tones to you, another may see it differently.

A person sitting in the park may be there for a reason, and the reason may be peace & quiet. I know that when I go to the beach, I don't want a radio playing near me. I am there to enjoy the beach, not someone else's taste in music.

examples: I no longer go into some restaurants because (invariably) someone will put on the music and it will be contrary to my taste. Not to pick on Waffle House, but I don't want to listen to 'New' country when I'm trying to have a nice breakfast. Pizza Hut? usually some kind of rock & roll. If I had a business and there was someone playing in front of my place, I would want them moved for the simple reason that not everyone might like what is being played OR that anything is being played at ALL.
I would be sensitive to the environs around my establishment as it could affect my 'rice bowl'.

There is a family across the street. Every now and then, very loud trash music comes out of that place. Sometimes the garage door is closed but the volume makes the door into a drum and it shakes the very ground. I don't know about you, but I can't stand walking around the house and hearing that droning noise and feeling my concrete floors vibrate underneath my carpeting.

There is a character who skates around Venice Cal, and on top of dressing to specifically attract attention, he plays a guitar. He is too loud AND he sucks. Now the problem is that even if I go walking down the esplanade, he will STILL be in my ears because he SKATES.

Some places are more amicable. The Eaton Mall on Younge st. in downtown Toronto has musicians on all 4 corners. It seems to work there. It's expected. N.O.La. same deal. Key West same deal. Finding the right spot is a tricky slippery slope.

Thanks in advance for your time. I hope we can avoid future confrontation.

The key is to pick a place that will cause the least consternation. An abandoned storefront, or a place where foot traffic is moving and doesn't linger enough to cause a nuisance. Stay away from the corners of parks where the lunchtime business crowd is trying to eat their sandwich in peace. Subways are usually ok as long as you're not too loud and bang the sound off the tile walls. Stay away from the fronts of business'. Also, don't impede pedestrian traffic, or hassle people. Don't annoy a captive audience (see below)

We all know the scenario where the sax player strolls up and down the subway car squawking into peoples faces, and if they don't get an immediate 'contribution', they squawk LOUDER and closer.

Unfortunately, there HAVE been musicians? in the past who have been nuisances, and therefore the police (generally) are keyed in to this potential situation. There have also been fist fights and even stabings, and at least one shooting that I know of first hand. Cops are basically lazy and don't want the paperwork, so if they go to run you off, the best thing to do is quietly leave and set up somewhere else.
In 27 years of doing this sort of stuff, I have never seen a street musician arrested.....for the music. that is. It's usually their big mouth

smo-joe

Will Vogtman