Re:[Harp-L] Harmonica Player vs Harp Player

While I agree with many of the comments already posted
(there are harp players and then there are harmonica
players), I would have to disagree with some of the JP
statements.  The first being he wears a vest of
harmonicas.  He hasn't done that for the better part
of a decade.  The second, is that he does have good
command of holes 1-4, which is evident in earlier cds
like "four" which (for most of us) is probably the
last Blues Traveler CD we've heard.

Isn't that cd about ten years old now?  Has anybody
picked up "Straight On Till Morning", "Bridge", "Truth
Be Told", or "Bastardos"???  How about the "John
Popper Project" CD?

John has milked 2nd position for all it is worth in
all three octaves.  While he doesn't play
"chromatically" in all three keys, he can play more in
the upper octave then just about any player out there
(and he gets alot of chromatic tones from up there).
His rhythm chops destroy almost every single player
out there, including some of our harmonica gods.

Yes he wanks, and no he isn't my favorite harp player.
 But I think what he has done since "four" is some
awesome stuff, although sometimes hit or totally miss.
 Recently he as explored more modally and he definetly
can play a lot of different grooves.  There are some
really great lyrical elements to his playing.
Especially on the two most recent albums.

In terms of music, he may not be the best harp player,
but there isn't anybody I can think of that can play
an insturment with a totally unique voice, sing with
that much soul and range, and then be one of the best
song writers ever.

With singing harp players, the actual songwriting is
overlooked.  In terms of lyrical value, he's right up
there with guys like Bob Dylan.

Finally, John hit it big while in his very early 20's
in an era without 1/100th the harp info now available
to us.  I think before we make too many judgements
about his playing, appearance, etc. we should remember
that he is now in his 30's and has done a ton
musically since he first hit the scene.

If we took such a small cross section of Ricci's,
Buffalo's, or anybody else's playing, we could find a
lot to pick a part too.

Mike