Re:[Harp-L] Was Harmonica Player vs Harp Player

WVa Bob wrote:
<Anybody care to list other things that have contributed to the advancement
<of the instrument in our time?

I know this is hubris, and I apologize in advance, but I like to think that my book "Jazz Harp" contributed to the advancement of the instrument.  I know that it contributed to the development of some of the best and most widely recorded players in the generation that came of musical age in the 1970s and 1980s.

Besides that, in my opinion John Popper contributed a lot to the advancement of the instrument, specifically a completely different way of thinking about the harmonica, its sound, its capabilities, and its role in a rock and roll band.  His influence on the generation that is coming of musical age now can't be overestimated.  For that matter, neither can his influence on the audience.  He made it cool for 21st century kids to want to be harp players.  We are just beginning to hear those kids present their stuff to the world now.

I'm sure plenty of people on this list disagree with either or both of these statements.  You can call me personal names regarding the first if you like.  Regarding the second, please just keep it to the usual "Popper sucks" diatribe.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter