Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Player vs Harp Player

<< BUT... Once again why does it seem that so many people miss the fundamental difference between JP and other players that can play "fast"? JP has 1/10th of the command on holes 1-4 of the harmonica, compared to these mentioned players. The emporer has no clothes. (Save a black leather vest and the bandolero thing that holds his harps.) >>

You haven't listened to much JP, Michael, have you ? I'll point you to a few good ones. Listen to Stand, and tell me any harp player can play that low end riff. Listen to Runaround, the lower part of the solo ? That's serious note pumping in the lower and middle register.

So I'll counter your once again with another once again : Popper is a shredder, and an assumed one at that. In the guitar world, these guys (Satriani, Vai, etc.) are admired for what they do well, ie. shredding. Once again I must wonder whose puppies Popper has raped to warrant such disdain when it's not outright hatred...

Popper's a damn good shredder, as far as I know he doesn't claim to be better, or worse than any 'famous' player out there, he just does, damn well in my opinion, what he sets out to do musically. Why should he be judged under any other standard ? If Kim Wilson can't play as fast as Popper, it doesn't matter cause it's "not his thing" but if Popper can't play as fast in the lower register as a bunch of other guys, suddenly it's relevant ?

Popper bashing troubles me. It has no rational foundation.

I think I'll start Piazza bashing, just for fun...

Troubled Ben