[Harp-L] IBC Harp Content

I saw Mike Easton's post from a competitor's perspective so let me add
my two cents from a blues/harp fan.

I'm only going to mention the acts that I was able to catch, it's just
impossible to see them all because there are so many performing at the
same time, and I also won't mention the ones that I may have caught but
wasn't that impressed with (momma says, "if you ain't got nothing good
to say?"). Let's just say this, some of the acts inspired me in an
unusual way - I stood there listening and felt I wasn't that far behind
where them were harp-wise and maybe someday I could participate in
something as cool as the International Blues Competition in Memphis.The
acts ranged across a wide berth of various range of talent, which was
surprising because I expected it to be all gun-slingers at that level.
Some groups obviously relied on the showmanship aspect to get them past
limitations in their skill level, or maybe didn't have much competition
at their local blues society bake-offs. Unfortunately I had to miss Ryan
Hartt from here on harp-l because one night he was playing at the same
time as my home band Krypton, and the other night there was some
scheduling snafu where they were either playing earlier than the guide
book said or I just couldn't make it across town from where I was. I
feel bad about that. Oh well, next year or maybe on my travels
somewhere. I'm looking forward to hearing his comments/perspective
though as well since Mike already posted.

So I'm posting to make folks here aware of some of the great harp
players that they might want to catch if these acts cross their
paths.Caveat - this is all strictly IMO from what I can remember (took
no notes, hand were busy with cold beer)

Mikey Junior - Caught these guys the first night, came in after they had
started, they were doing some high-energy jump type blues. I think
they're from NJ or Philly and you could tell just by looking at them,
kinda bad-ass looking group and they sounded great. The guitar player
looked just like that kid from the movie "The Outsiders" back in the
80's, I think the actor was Matt Dillon. Anyway, Mikey was kicking @ss
and taking prisoners up there as the lead man, as good as folks said
he'd be. Great set.

Bottoms Up Blues Gang (St Louis) - This group had only a very attractive
female lead singer, a great young acoustic guitar player, and Adam
Andrews on harp. Strange to have no bass/drums rhythm section but the
kid on guitar was keeping it all together for them playing the rhythm
and melody. I thought they sounded great, especially Andrews on harp, I
liked his style a whole lot and it matched their sound well, obviously
he got a lot of space and played it like a lead instrument. Reminded me
of my friend Pete Sheridan from this area who is also a great harp
player - tall lean and damn good. I liked them so much I went to see
them both nights.

Stella Vees (Kentuckiana) - Good chicago style blues, didn't get the
harp player's name but he was playing a classic chicago style through a
bullet and I believe a Meteor amp.

Terry "Harmonica" Bean - Terry was in the solo/duo competition. He's a
great musician, he played at our blues society's event one time but I
missed that. I heard he tore it up amplified that time so I was anxious
to hear some of that but of course since this was solo/duo and he was
solo he played on a rack and accompanied himself on acoustic guitar.
Still sounded great, he's a polished and seasoned musician from the
Delta so expect nothing less.

Nathan James & Ben Hernadez (San Diego) - Don't remember much about what
they played other than I liked it. They were in the solo/duo competition
and they won it so yeah, they must be good. Ben was the harp player.

? (Clarence "Blues Man" Turner's harp player, DC) - Didn?t catch this
brother's name, he had a pretty wild afro going out both sides of his
head and he played excellent amplified harp off to the side of the
stage, boogying hard all the way through. Damn good player, saw them in
the finals at the Orpheum.

Charlie Witthoeft (Michigan) Charlies Roots Fusion, an intriguing name.
My guidebook said chicago and texas blues but I got there late and only
heard the west coast swing stuff, not my favorite but hey they did it
well. Like Mikey Junior, another bad ass looking guy in a wife beater
showing off those pipes and harp belt.

Emmanuel Frangeul (Paris) Emmanuel played harp for the band Malted Milk
which went to the finals. Another great harp performance, I saw them in
the finals after hearing everyone rave about them after seeing them in
the bars. Their was the only CD I bought, primarily after hearing this
guy on harp. Great range of styles and nailed each one (although I
wasn't keen on the spacey trills he did with the delay pedal cranked up
on the one song, not for the blues competition anyway!). The blues (and
harp) is alive and well in Paris. I?m listening to the CD now as I type
this, eh, for the second time today.

Mike "Fathead" Easton (Harrisburg, PA) - Disclaimer - Mike's my friend.
He plays in Krypton City Blues Review. But that's not why I'm giving him
props here. I've been telling him all along he's as good as anyone I
hear - anywhere. His range of styles, from Butterfield to the old
acoustic tunes is always done with tactical precision. He chooses his
technique and range of notes based on what the song calls for, not what
his strengths are, because he can do it all in any style with
excellence, and more importantly doesn't *overdo* it. I'm glad he got to
showcase his stuff at the IBC. Now how about getting a CD together boys,
geez :^)  Krypton was unreal and should have won their room. Maybe the
French dudes got a bump for coming so far, but nobody can deny they were
pretty damn good too.

Two bands without any harp that I thought I should mention:

Lara Price Band - Sacramento - Wow. When I first heard them I thought
they would win it all for sure. Lara's a small girl but what a voice and
her band was tight. I also went back to see them on the second night,
they had the bar screaming both nights. Her female lead guitar could cut
heads with any dude gunslinger there, for sure. I think she may have
overdone it on a very long solo, venturing into Led Zeppelin-land (which
I don't mind, being a Zep fan!) but it may have cost in the judges eyes,
who knows. I was *shocked* that they didn't make the finals. Might
Lester won that room, who were also great if you like the big-band blues
ensemble sound with all the horns (not my cup o' tea).

Homemade Jamz Blues Band (Tupelo) - This is the group with the 14 year
old guitar player singer (BIG kid for 14!) who reminded me so much of
young Buddy Guy, and his little 8 year old sister on drums with pigtails
flying, and I think 13 year old cuz on bass. I heard they tore up the
bars both nights and it wasn't just the "cute" or "gimmick" factor, so I
was glad I could see them in the finals. They finished second overall,
I'm not sure I would have put them there because while they were
*fantastic*, two of their songs came to rather awkward endings which
should be a pretty big deduction in the finals where you are up against
polished, professional level competition. But at this age? Dang, watch
out for this group of kids. Ten points from Gryffindor though, Potter,
for not having a harp player!

The one thing that really disappointed me were the jams. I brought my
harps on the trip in hopes of maybe getting a chance to play on Beale.
But the jams, as you might expect, were packed and the signup lists very
long, and not often followed that well. People were getting crossed off
that hadn't played, etc. The folks that were up there were just too busy
cutting heads (not just harp, all instruments) and not playing together
at all, just trying to show off and play to the crowd, and it all came
off sounding pretty bad. So I didn't sign up. I did however, late
night/early morning staggering down Beale, pull out my D harp and do a
quick riff right there in the middle of Beale, so let history show, I
did play Beale Street. Bob Margolin had a jam at the Rum Boogie Café
that was better, I guess with Bob there people behaved more, but still,
loooong signup sheet.

Anyway I highly recommend getting into your local blues society
competition to come down to the finals next year. Or just going to Beale
St/Memphis. Like Mike says, it's kinda commercialized somewhat with the
Hard Rock and all that, but I thought some of the clubs still had that
great run-down blues juke joint feel so I wasn't disappointed. And
there's nothing better than walking down Beale Street and hearing one
wailing blues harp after another coming from the cozy confines within
each one, during a frigid couple of days in Memphis.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA