[Harp-L] RE: Rhythm Willie: Wow

Hi James,
Thanks for putting up that link. There was an extensive discussion of Willie here some months back. I'm especially glad to have that link to I got Rhythm. I owned that record over 30 years ago, and it's great to hear it again. Willie had such great first position chops! Reminds me a little of another player who really could control those high bends, Don Les. His recordings are worth checking out too.
James wrote:
http://www.patmissin.com/78rpm/78rpm.html

The above site has some valuable though not well known artists. If you scroll down toward the bottom (I believe the harp players are arranged alphabetically) you will find two Rhythm Willie Gems. The first is Willies Boogie.He is accompanied by The Earl Bostic Orchestra Earl Bostic was a famous Alto Saxophone player from the 50's. Check out the interplay between him and the horn lines. He imitates Benny Goodman or Sidney Bechet
The other tune is I Got Rhythm on a diatonic. Cool when you think this is 50 years before Howard Levy and his school of overblowing.